In 1958 a group of businessmen from Zeltweg negotiated the use of the L shaped runways of the local airbase and held races there including F1 up until the mid 1960s when the track was deemed too bumpy. Interest in racing due to Austrian driver Jochen Rindt's F1 success attracted the funding to construct a new fast and flowing track that utilised the natural amphitheatre of the valley. Completed in 1969, the first F1 race was held on the new track in 1970, and the circuit was highly regarded by the drivers for it's challenging layout. However, safety concerns grew and after a series of startline incidents the last F1 race was held there in 1987. The circuit fell into disrepair, but with backing from a mobile phone company the circuit was reopened in 1997 in emasculated form, and named the A1 Ring. In 2007 Red Bull Racing took ownership of the track, and are currently refurbishing and redesigning it with the help of Herman Tilke Gmbh. The DTM is due to come here when racing returns in 2010.